Search for:

A reciprocal agreement is where there is a mutual agreement between countries. On this website we are referring to the reciprocal agreement regarding healthcare to cover emergency medical treatment. This means treatment that cannot wait until you return to your home country.


Visit the link to find out more about the agreement with Australia. This should be a must for backpackers to find out about. You would need to register for medicare. Australia Agreement

European Agreement

This is the GHIC ( old EHIC or E111)

What is a GHIC / EHIC card and why should I have one ?

The Global Health Insurance Card GHIC [ EHIC before Brexit], can be obtained before travelling, and this will enable holders of the card to seek Emergency Medical treatment in the countries in which the card is accepted through the Reciprocal Health Agreement.

Click Here for further information or to apply for it.

United Kingdom

Phone: +44 191 218 1999.
Fax: +44 191 225 2131.

Most hotels can call a doctor to see you at your hotel if you feel unwell, but you are likely to have to pay on the spot.

If you have travel insurance, please make sure you notify them if you need medical attention, especially if you are admitted for inpatient treatment. Not all medical procedures are covered automatically.

The following European countries do not accept the EHIC or GHIC:

  • The Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Monaco
  • San Marino
  • The Vatican

When you travel to an EU country or Switzerland you should have either:

  • a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
  • a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Purchase travel insurance with healthcare cover because an EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. You should make sure you have both before you travel.

e.g. A EHIC / GHIC would not cover for a medical repatriation – your travel insurance will cover this for a valid claim if it is medically necessary. Medical Repatriations = Doctor or Nurse Escort and Air Ambulance Repatriations. GHIC does not cover any mountain rescue / piste rescue.

You can purchase insurance separate insurance for mountain rescue, ski pass cover.

Each healthcare system is different, and in some countries you’ll need to pay to have treatment.


You can use your GHIC or EHIC in Switzerland to get state-provided, medically necessary healthcare at a reduced cost (or sometimes for free) if you are a:

  • UK national
  • Swiss national
  • EU citizen
  • refugee
  • stateless person
  • dependant or survivor of someone with one of these nationalities or statuses

You may have a question about policy excess, activities or sports, flight cancellations or delays, lost luggage and how to claim. Have a look through our pages, and complete the contact form, if you have a question that has not been answered.

We also cover medical screening, and medical clearance, and Emergency Medical Assistance as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *